baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Monday, January 22, 2007

Well, that's a new one

Took Nathan to the doctor today. Well, to the nurse practitioner. She didn't swab for strep, but said he had an ear infection and croup. The antibiotics for the ear infection would cover the strep if he had it, so she didn't want to make him any more miserable by gagging him.

The croup thing was new to me. I know it sounds like a barking seal, but I didn't realize there was a treatment for it. Steroids that may upset his tummy for 5 days, or a one-time nebulizer treatment in the office. I said he's had enough tummy trouble, let's do the breathing treatment. He did really good sitting there for 20 minutes with that steam in his face. The whiffs I got of it stunk, so good for him for putting up with it.

Picking up the antibiotics from the pharmacy, I asked the pharmacist if there were any other good fever-reducers out there because the baby tylenol gives Nathan gas. He thought that was pretty funny. We are going to try Motrin. It may not be much different, but we'll see if it is any easier on the tummy.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Funny the things that can amuse a small town pharmacist!!

Clog Nana said...

Rob used to get croup all the time in the winter. It sounds awful when they cough. Hope the meds get this one over with. Kids get all the viruses it seems.

Jen said...

Your poor babies...glad you are home in a comfortable environment to deal with the remainder of the icky's...how are you feeling? :-)