baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hide and Swim

Have you ever been so tired, your eyelids feel swollen?

Abby started swimming lessons this week after 2 summers of intention. We couldn't do it the year she was 3 because I could not find any near Holts Summit. We couldn't do it last year because we were moving or living here and there all summer. I almost thought we would have to skip this summer, too, because she could not swim while her eyes were healing.

However, Scott AFB is having 2 weeks of swim lessons for a very reasonable price. Abby loves it. She is in a group with 3 other kids and they have been practicing kicking and floating and getting their faces in the water. The only problems are that it starts at 9, so in order to get everyone ready and including travel time, I have to get up at 7. I haven't gotten up that early on a consistent basis since I worked at the lab in Texas. I know, wah wah. It is just rough changing one's schedule. On the plus side, we'll have to be on this new schedule when Abby starts kindergarten, so we are getting into the groove already. The other problem is that Nathan doesn't particularly care to sit and watch her swim for 45 minutes. It has been a challenge to keep him occupied and stationary.

The other hiccup this week is that Charlie is hiding under the bed. Charlie is usually very social and hates to be sequestered. So I take him to the vet and he thinks I'm crazy. He kept trying to find some other symptom to find some sort of lead to follow as "hiding under the bed" is not generally equated with sickness in most cats. But, to humor me, he took some blood and urine samples. Bloodwork came back fine, but there were elevated blood cell levels in the urine. Still no clear cut diagnosis, but he gave us 21 days of antibiotics. So, now the fun part is dragging a cat from under the bed to shove a pill down his throat. Now that takes skillz.

3 comments:

Clog Nana said...

Swimming sounds like she is trying to work with the teacher. Hooray for her. And why did they give you pills?? The vet here gave BigGuy liquid. He liked it so much he would sit in front of Lauren and wait for it. It was funny. Hope Charlie gets better.

Grandma is getting better too. She has new medicine. See ya.

Jen said...

Wow...you are super lucky to have both of your kiddos sleep past 7am everyday!! Mine are up with the sun it seems...ugh...I always have swollen eyelids...haha!

Glad Abby is enjoying swim lessons! Fun, fun!

Clog Nana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAUGHTER. I HAVE TRIED AND TRIED YOUR PHONE AND WILL KEEP TRYING.

HAPPY HAAPPPYY BIRTHDAY. LOVE AND KISSES - MOM