baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Friday, July 25, 2008

Birthdays

Sean had a birthday on Wednesday. Usually, I prepare something. I make a cake. I shop for at least one present. This year I totally dropped the ball. I did shop for a present (he needs a new power drill), but wasn't sure which one he would like or need, so left the store deciding he should pick it out himself. We did drive over and have lunch with him. One of his civilians is retiring, and another guy is being moved (to Hawaii), so they had a big group lunch farewell.

Randomly, I get reminded how decent and supportive people can be. There we were in the special dining room at Ryce's chinese buffet. We took up 5 or so tables, so you can imagine 30-40 people mostly in fatigues. Then the waiter announces that our whole group has been "taken care of" and a guy in a blue shirt pops in, waves. Everyone says "Thank you" and he just says, "No, thank YOU." and there you go...random decent person just paid for everybody's lunches.

So then Papa took us all out for a birthday dinner at a local place called Ravenellis. It was a really awesome place. They are "known" for their chicken, but they have a little of everything on the menu. And I suggest you leave room for dessert. Papa tried the Red Velvet cake and Sean had a piece of Snickers Pie, and both were excellent.

And alas, my birthday is looming.

PS...got Abby's glasses at Lenscrafters. I thought it would be the best place because the fine print of their offer is Free lenses with frame purchase including lined bifocals. Everyone charges almost double for bifocals, it is really annoying. So we go, pick out some cute frames that are probably too "big" for her eyes, but the earpieces have like a flower stencil cut-outs that are really feminine, and they were quite reasonably priced. Go to pay and find out that the bifocal deal does NOT apply for the kids lenses. Grr. So the bifocals were about the same price as the frames. Outrageous. However, this is the very first pair EVER for her that were able to be made in an hour and not sent out for 2 weeks. Hooray for small victories

5 comments:

Jen said...

Have you taken a picture of her in her new eyewear?! We must see the little princess and her pretty flowers on her earpieces! ;-)

Clog Nana said...

I know that bait and switch thing. Remember 2 pairs for 99 dollars?? What a rip. Only applies to ..... well NOT US.

gjlac said...

Abby's glasses are very pretty on her. Good choice. The only good thing about LensCrafter is that you get them the same day.

Clog Nana said...

can't wait to see her in person.

Christy said...

Happy late birthday to sean too!