baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Monday, June 16, 2008

Training

There is a Transportation Museum in Kirkwood that has acres and acres of real, life-size, restored TRAINS. And they have boats and old timey cars. And some planes. And on Father's Day, as a special for dads and sons, admission was FREE.

Nathan is train crazy. Abby, too, a bit. We have become big fans of Thomas the Tank. So imagine walking around huge engines that are 2 or 3 times bigger than Sean. We tagged along on a tour for part of it and learned a lot about the distance between the rails, snowblowers, and luxury standards of the early 1900s. We even walked thru a "luxury" train that was used in the film "Truman" with Gary Sinise. I don't think I've seen that one.. They even took the train up to independence, MO for filming. It was kind of interesting. Then the kids got hungry, so we had to abandon the tour. We walked thru the car museum. And out front, there was an antique car show in the parking lot. We didn't even get to the back lot full of boats and planes.

Nathan was a bit intimidated by the sheer size, but he was very excited. He kept seeing different engines that look like the ones on Thomas and saying, "Ook! 'pencer!" Or, "Mommy, it's Duncan!" They even had a little train and a trolley that we didn't ride, but every time Nathan saw it go by, she said, "choo choo! Ning ning ning" Love it. His bell goes "ning" not "ding".

Oh, and Abby's latest joke. It is very subtle, so I didn't even catch it at first because I thought she was just mispronouncing it.

"What do you call a deer with no eyes?"
"I have no idear."

2 comments:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Haha! Does she make these up or get them from somewhere? So funny that one!