baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Friday, October 05, 2007

pediatrics

So we did steroid cream for 3 days, nothing. So we went to the antibiotics for 4 days. Less fiery red, but still rashy and now it is all over his legs and elbows and going down his arm. So Sean calls over to Scott AFB pediatrics for another opinion.

Pediatrics had toys, and games, and cartoons on the TV. Not that it mattered much because our appointment was at 2 and we were called back BEFORE 2 to get the weight and vitals. Amazing. A doctor's clinic that runs on time???!!!!

I told the doc what was going on, what the urgent care doc said and how we were treating it. I said I had read up on impetigo, and it didn't look like impetigo to me, and he said, yeah, no, it is definitely NOT impetigo. Besides, the antibiotics didn't seem to help since it was still spreading. He looked Nathan over, called in another doc (maybe a supervisor) just to confirm what he was thinking and here is the new diagnosis.

Unilateral-Bilateral syndrome. Started on one side (unilateral) and now has spread to both sides (bilateral). Usually a rash caused by a virus. It will just have to run its course. I've never heard of a viral rash. How come we all don't have it? May take 2-3 weeks. Just treat the itchy as needed with hydrocortisone cream.

I liked the visit. It was fast, on-time, and the doc seemed exuberant and happy. However, I still get a feeling that doctors have big complex sounding names for what amounts to "hmm, I'm stumped, but don't want to admit it, so here's a high-faluting "diagnosis" to give you peace of mind that something got accomplished. Now, go back home and see if it will go away on its own." Hence Unilateral-bilateral syndrome.

2 comments:

Mel said...

hope it is getting better.

gjlac said...

That is very in-ter-esting - strange but very in-ter-esting. lol

Does it look any better yet? Get well soon Nathan!