The longest day
To begin, I didn't get much sleep. Some storms came through and woke me up, and I kept waking myself up to make sure I would get Nathan fed before the 9 oclock cut off time.
Nathan was out like the dead. He had a bath last night, and with the cloudy dark morning, he might have slept very very long. I tried to feed him in his sleep wondering if I could have my cake and eat it, too, but my efforts woke him up.
He's not used to my shoving food at him the second he wakes up, so it wasn't going very well. He finally ate a few bites of pancake and a few bites of cinnamon roll, and a bite or so of egg. (I had gone to the store to have several things ready because you never know what he will like) And plenty of milk to wash it down.
So he was very good all morning. We left to go to Columbia, and he fell asleep in the car. The worst part was the hour and a half wait after check-in. I had brought a backpack full of toys, some new ones he hadn't seen before, but the room was full of toys, so we didn't get them out. Another little girl was in there and she was taking everything we didn't have hidden, which made Nathan mad, so he only wanted to be held, but if I sat down, he thought he might get a drink, so I had to stay standing up holding him for an hour and a half. My back hurts, but I think I'll have the biceps of Schwartzenegger. Maybe on a girl, that's not such a good thing...But hey, he wasn't screaming!
Then I have to talk to the anesthesiologist. Twice. Teaching hospitals are so lovely. They decide to give him Versaid to knock him out, but not completely out. However, around 2 is his usual nap time, so he was acting sleepy anyway.
The exam didn't take very long. However, the Peds Specialist also brought along one of his students, so everything he did, the student did after, and then Peds was explaining eye things to the anesthesia student, and the nurse was in there monitoring his heart and breathing, so we had 5 medical people in there for a little glasses prescription. I wonder what sort of bill Tricare will get for that?! And Peds was asking me questions that I wasn't sure how to answer. Was I nearsighted or farsighted before my surgery? Um...neither. I couldn't see at any distance, my lenses were completely out of sight. (ha that sounds funny) Am I sure there was no other systemic explanations? Um...no, I'm an eye mutant only. I told them that I had glasses at two, contacts at seven, implants 2 years ago. I asked him how many EL patients he sees, and he said 1 or 2 a year. Most have Marfan's. One or two? Abby and Nathan?
So we have a script for glasses! Woo hoo! Nathan takes about a 45 minute nap back in the recovery area (it actually was good, they had clippers there, so I got his nails and toenails trimmed up while he was nice and motionless). Then we go take him to eat (it is now 3:30). He shovels down some sweet potato fries and then has a really goopy diaper. It was gross. It ran down his leg into his sock. So is it from teething, some food allergy, or the medicine???
Then we go to the mall to find some glasses. Let me tell you, there are not a lot of choices. There are tons of kids glasses, but not a lot of really small infant glasses. We got lucky at Pearle and found some super cute Blue's Clues glasses that were small and they have little paw prints on the earpieces. Trying to measure the pupil distance was a screamfest, tho. He was so done with people messing with his face.
He slept on the way home. Papa had Abby all day (thank goodness. That would have been double the stress with her there asking "can we go home now...can we go home now?" So the kids were wired, but all the adults were ready to crash.
Time for this mutant to go to bed.




2 comments:
you don't get charged for any of the students, just so you know. :-) we're free! ha.
glad he's going to get the glasses he needs!
Cant wait to see his cute little glasses!!
Post a Comment