Any suggestions?
Once upon a time, a young mom took her son to the eye doctor because he was squinting and rubbing his eyes alot. He would put his face right on the book to see the pictures. And she knew he needed some glasses to help him see.
Due to current political and medical bureaucracy, she was forced to take him to a "peds specialist" who has seemingly no training with children. After waiting the 20 minutes for the dilation drops to work, her son was bored and tired. The doc shines a light at him, which makes the boy turn his head. The doc clucks his tongue to get the boy to look again, he shines the light while holding a lens close to the boy's head. The boy turns away again and complains to mom that this stranger is getting too close. Doc looks at mom and says, "Any suggestions?"
Mom is too shocked to speak. Mom is not the one that went to med school. Mom has not had 20 some years of practice looking into small children's eyes. Mom asks if they could try it in the hall? Maybe the boy is (understandably) remembering all the misery he tends to experience in small doctor rooms? (We make a weak attempt in the hall) Mom says that big sis had to have sedation to get a good reading. Doc tells assistant to set it up. So the entire morning was a colossal waste of time. Mom leaves fuming and with little confidence that this doctor can help at all. All mom can picture is her poor son conked out on the table and the eye doc turning to the anesthesiologist and asking, "Any suggestions?"
Grrrr.
Oh, and you asked for it. Before we go into the snide remarks, yes, they are a bit big, but they have a bifocal to them, so they needed extra room. And they came with a magnetic clip on sunglasses thing, so that was good. And really, picking out frames is the worst because you really can't see, you can only get a general idea of how they look. And did I mention I hate wearing glasses?




4 comments:
no matter what sweetie you are BEAUTIFUL!! Glasses suck no matter what. I hate wearing them also but since having kids my eyes dry out so bad. I still have to wear the contacts when I go out somewhere. I know I am vain.
Sorry you are frustrated with the doctors. It stinks when the Dr. turns to you and says stuff like that. Wish I could give you a big hug!! Love you bunches
you look so mad in your picture...SMILE! :-) Glasses aren't all that bad...I actually opted for them a few years ago...my eyesight actually improved b/c of it. Cool huh?
at least you only have to wear the glasses for a little while. it's definitely not a death sentence. and the visual of you fumbling your way around lescrafters picking out frames cracks me up a little! ;-)
Hey, some of us prefer glasses. I may look like a dork, but I know I've protected my eyes from some pretty infectious childrens' coughs! They do have their advantages.
Post a Comment