baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Deep Thoughts

Baby giggles are a gift straight from Heaven.
Getting to hear them is a privelage.
Whoever gets a baby giggling is truly blessed.


Nathan has a rocking chair in my bathroom that I can set him in when I need to get ready for bed. His chair has an arch with little rattle toys he can see and touch. He seems to really like his little chair, because he usually starts smiling when I put him in there. (Ooo, that rhymed...)

I was watching him in it the other day and discovered a little nugget of how his brain works. He doesn't reach out and bat at the toys. He has figured out that if he gets that chair to rock, ALL of them move at the same time. He has also figured out that if he moves his legs, he gets the chair to rock. So, I set him in there, he starts smiling, his eyes get all big with excitement, and then he STOMPS his feet against the seat (they aren't long enough to hang over yet), the chair rocks and the animals swing in all crazy directions. Then he starts smiling and laughing all over himself.

This same order of events has been duplicated several times now when I put him in that chair. He is purposefully stomping those feet, and it cracks me up! Am I going to have a time with him or what? Are babies supposed to have cause and effect figured out at three months? And it's not just kicking his feet like all babies kick and flail their legs. He puts the bottom of his feet to the seat, alternating legs...stomp stomp stomp. I haven't seen him stomp like that any other time, so it is definitly for that purpose and he has LEARNED that trick. I'm sure babies learn all the time. I'm just wondering if they all can think two and three steps of logic together. 1. I want the animals to swing. 2. When the chair rocks, the animals swing. 3. Make the chair rock.

Well, anyway, It amuses me...

1 comment:

amanda said...

it's truly genius level work!