baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Yuck

Well, we got back home which is a minor miracle because it's hard enough to drive all that way alone, but try doing it with that fuzzy-headed, starting to get sick feeling.

I now have a killer sore throat, achy chills, and seem to be coughing up army-green phlegm. Lovely, huh. I'm surprised how fast it came on. I hate feeling yucky...

The kids' appointment went ok. I was not overly impressed with this group like I was with our WV peds opthalmologist. This group basically did an adult exam but with pictures instead of letters. Let me tell you, the pictures were merely suggestions of what they were supposed to represent. And of course, after the 30th time asking abby, "What's that", Abby got bored and stopped cooperating. It further didn't help that the "resident" did everything once, and then the big doc came in at the very end to do the same things all over again. I asked Abby if she wanted to try the letters instead of the pictures so she might get into the game again, but the doc said he had to compare apples to apples, so he had to do the pictures again. Abby's just a bright kid, she was done with that game. So, the doc said that he couldn't get her left eye to correct any better than 20/60 or something, and we might consider the surgery for her. I'm thinking, 1...she's three. She barely can tell us what bothers her, and besides, she got bored with your game, so I'm sure she can see much more than you think she can. 2...she's three...no way would I submit her to a scary major eye surgery until she can clearly understand what would go on and tell us if she really wants it. 3...I don't trust any doc very much if he seems that giddy about surgery on toddlers.

Nathan's lenses are where they should be for now. He said that doesn't mean they will stay there.

And we had another fun encounter with Tricare. It seems that St. Louis is part of Tricare North. I am living and enrolled in Tricare West. Thus, this doctor is not covered for me because I'm going "out of network". Doesn't seem to matter that the WV doc recommended him or that I had our primary care people put in referrals. Or that I thought a big city doc would be a little more experienced with this condition than the dude up in Columbia. So anyway, that little crappy appointment will be paid out of my pocket because of where we live. I just love the Tri-to-get-care health plan...

1 comment:

Jen said...

Freakin' TRICARE! I completely understand your battle...they are crap! Free or not, it shouldn't be this difficult to get medical care! Especially for the babies!