Good Kitty?
As you may know, I have a cat. He's been with me since college and is thirteen pounds of jet black fur. I've noticed some gray fur starting to show up, and he tends to sleep more than he used to. But he's a good boy. The other night, I was on the computer and he so wanted to be near me and feel my touch that he fell asleep on the hand I was using to click the mouse. Poor little guy doesn't get the attention he used to get B.C. (before child)
Today, he did something I haven't seen him do since my infested college apartment. It is a beautiful, sunny day out, slightly cool, just perfect for 13 lbs of fur to be outside. He likes going for walks. I have probably purchased a whole paycheck's worth of toys for the boy, and he couldn't be more disinterested. He likes his toys WARM and BREATHING, and MOVING. So, I had thought he liked going outside just to mark his property and pull security for other cats wandering on his turf. But today, he comes walking nonchalantly to the back door and looks in like he does when he's ready to come back inside. I'm nearly ready to open the door for him when I notice he has a mouthfull of weeds in his mouth. That's odd, I think, so I look again. Barely discernable against the blackness of his fur is the small limp shape of a grey field mouse. I tell him thank you, but I don't want that in my house, so he takes it to the edge of the patio where he looks prepared to start eating it, so at that point, I stopped watching. (He didn't eat it, but left it lovingly on the concrete.)
Now, in the course of all our cats growing up, we've come to learn that this is something like a present. He is somewhat showing off for me...hey, look what I did, and somewhat taking on a provider role...hey, I can take care of you (which would be great if I liked eating mouse). Isn't that fascinating? He hasn't done it since college, which was the last time I lived ALONE. (Sean, you may have been disowned, at least by the cat.)
Is it completely crazy of me to be this touched by his care and concern? My little companion who has been moved across the country nearly every year, tortured by a screaming baby, denied the long sleeps on my lap also by said baby, and forced to the foot of the bed because Sean took the side of the bed he used to sleep next to me on...he seems to know that I'm alone again. He has decided, despite all that marriage and children has done to our previous partnership, to reassume the role of provider and caretaker. He is going to take care of me, inasmuch as he can as a cat.
Or maybe it's just a dead mouse that entertained him for awhile. Like a Christmas wish list that he has to show me since he can't write..."Hey, lady, I want more of these toys." Maybe it's just a desperate cry for attention. "Hey, lady, can that kid do this?" Maybe I'm just losing my marbles.
Maybe he sees me cleaning up after Abby and Sean, so he left me something slimy, limp, and cold to clean up. Just leave it lying anywhere, she'll clean it up later...that must be it. You men are all the same! :)




No comments:
Post a Comment