baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Warning: Venting to follow

So this is going to be a grumbly post.

I've already posted that the school redistricted and we got sent to Schaefer, which was previously a 6th grade only. So it is like starting up a brand new elementary. The PTO is new. The Art program is new.

At Moye, I was able to come for every Get Smart with Art class. I discovered I was actually pretty good at coming up with quirky ways to teach the artist biography. It seemed the other moms enjoyed it because they kept asking me to do it again and again. And I was able to unleash some creative energy once a month.

So now, we are at Schaefer. Due to the last minute switch where Abby got put in a different classroom, she is now in class with the daughter of the Get Smart with Art program coordinator. I don't know how she got to be in charge of it. I don't think she is terribly organized or on the ball. We've already missed programs for August and September because she hasn't gotten her master schedule or anything assigned yet. I sent her a question/suggestion about the art supply closet and nearly got my head bitten off that she wasn't concerned about that until she got her volunteer/schedule in order.

Last night, I get an email from her that Abby's class has 8 volunteers. She wants one person to lead and one person to assist, so that makes a grand total of 2 art classes we get to attend. TWO? Why bother?

So I send a reply that why not split into teams of four and divide up the program like we did at Moye where one person does the bio, one person does the print, one person does the project and one person prepares the project. That way we get to do at least 4 classes and we can all be more involved.

One lady wrote back saying she works full time and was taking a day off work to come teach a class, so 4 classes is not up her alley.

Coordinator lady writes back saying that because of "consistency", she only wants one person doing the whole presentation and one person assisting. Consistency? Whatever. We broke it into parts at Moye and it was great.

So I'm disappointed. And frustrated. And kind of angry. And I'm not sure why because only 2 classes, only one of which I get to present, means only one biography to come up with. So I have a ton more time on my hands this year apparently. Shouldn't that be a good thing?

5 comments:

Clog Nana said...

You are struggling with organization of the program vs what you know is organized.. Sorry

Clog Nana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Do you have a rec center in your town where you can offer your volunteer services and do it on the side for fun???

Catsjoy said...

We have a Y. I don't think they offer or want any art programs. And I'm not terribly sure anybody would sign up for quirky artist biographies.

Jen said...

Is there an after school program??? Maybe you could "entertain" some of the kids there that are waiting for their parents??? I'm not sure what kinds of programs they do during after-school programs but it's a thought...