baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First grade frustration

So the class lists came out the Friday we got home, and our friends emailed us to say that Abby and Sophie would be in the same class next year. They have redistricted all the schools, so Abby is going to a different building than she went for Kindergarten. So I was so happy that she would have a familiar face in class with her.

There were going to be 2 first grade classes, and Abby got in with Sophie and Ana. Double bonus. I even warned her not to get in too much trouble for talking to her friends during class.

So we told Abby, and she was super excited about starting school.

Then we get a phone call.

The principal was allowed to hire a third teacher because the classes were so big. One had 28 and the other 27 or something. Way big and not much room for new kids to show up. So they hired a third teacher which cut the class size to 17. But Abby's been moved to the new teacher.

*Banging my head on the wall*

So she is not in class with Sophie. We think she is still in with Ana, but haven't seen the new list yet. So I'm glad the class is smaller. I'm glad she still has a familiar face. I so wish it had gone the other way, tho. Abby and Sophie just get along with smiles and equality. Abby and Ana is a volatile drama-fest. One day they are best friends, the next Abby's crying over something Ana said. I like Ana. But you never know from day to day what to expect. And Ana has a very strong personality and Abby tends to go along for the ride. I've had to teach Abby the ability to say, "You're not the boss of me" before when they were in separate classes and issues came up at recess. This may be a rough year.

And on top of that, we get the new teacher. Again.

Once again, the universe is teaching me not to get my hopes up.

6 comments:

Christy said...

buck up, little camper... could be the new gal has all the cool ideas and fun stuff to do with her kids! There has to be more than two little girls in that class... I'll bet she makes new friends fast! So next year you don't mention anything to Abby until she walks IN the building... that'll eliminate those fears and anxieties about things that change that you and she appear to have.

Catsjoy said...

Do you know us at all? Things that change is our whole way of life! I just wish for once that the change would be for the better. We keep getting the short end of the stick.

Jen said...

I think you need a GratiTuesday! :-)

Christy said...

Bing Crosby said it best: "You need to accentuate the positive... elminate the negative... latch on to the affirmative... don't mess with mr. in between!" Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts. :-)

Clog Nana said...

maybe a visit to school will help you get more comfortable. Sorry. Abby will see Soph on the playground??? maybe she will have more to talk about etc. cross your fingers for a good year and Abby will get that from you too. (hopefully.)

gjlac said...

She will definitely need you to be more positive about all the changes so she can cope with it and not be afraid of it. We all support you with love. Good Luck.