Harrut Harrut
This is what a guinea pig says, according to Abby.
So, follicular cells have 3 possibilities. 1. Cancer. 2. Benign. 3. Indeterminant.
Apparently, I have #3. They will look at the slides and see what they can, but usually, they see what the previous docs saw.
And much like killing a fly with an elephant gun, the only way to really know if it is cancer or benign is after they remove the tissue and dissect it. So he recommends removal. The other option is just to leave it and monitor it with ultrasound more frequently.
Since the only major life change from removal is taking a pill once a day forever, then it seems silly NOT to remove it. I already take a pill once a day, so why leave it in there to bother me and potentially morph into cancer if it is not cancer. If it is cancer, it has to come out anyway. So, path A, remove now. Path B, wait for awhile and remove later giving it time to spread???
I must say, it is the oddest feeling to sign papers consenting for somebody to cut your throat. :)
I don't have a surgery date yet, but I did have to talk to the pre-op people to go over anesthesia risks and stuff like that. I will probably be kept one night.
And there is a study right now to figure out if there is a better way to treat these indeterminant nodules. It would involve a PET scan to see if that might be a way to predict cancer or benign better than complete removal. So I might be a real live guinea pig.
One nice thing was 3 different medical people said I was young. I'll take small positives right now!




7 comments:
I vote benign.
I love you so much. I am speachless.......................!!
speechless - I can't spell either.
Sorry I called. I heard Jay Leno and you are usually awake when I am visiting.
A thousand pardon's please.
When is all this going to take place? We will definitely put you on our prayer chain. We are praying it is benign also.
Mom, if you read more carefully she put she does not have a surgery date yet...:-)
I am glad you are getting it removed...I totally agree with that option! I will try not to worry about you. Heart!
How are you today?
Post a Comment