baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Winter blahs

What goes around comes around. Especially germs.

Sean got sick like a month ago with a bad cough and sore throat. He went to sick call and they said, yeah, you're sick. Take some sudafed and drink some orange juice.

So then, I got a bit of a scratchy throat, and I jumped on it with sudafed and nyquil. Couldn't breathe a couple of days thru my nose. (and yes, discovered there is QUITE a difference between the real sudafed and the non-meth sudafed PE stuff they have on the shelves in terms of breathability) Thought I had kicked it.

Then Abby starts coughing. The day after Christmas, she woke up croupy (she tends to do that when it is a bad cold. I thought they grow out of that eventually...) and spiking a fever. One minute she was cold, the next sweaty. She seems to be doing better now, although the cough still sounds wet.

Nathan just came down with it a day or so ago. The cough sounds deep and wet, the kind that hurts your rib cage. After a good spasm of them, he says, "boo boo". He's been running a low fever. Very clingy and cuddly. I'm sure the kids think I'm nuts, but I've been putting my ear to their chests to listen for water in the lungs. One of the moms at drop off before Christmas said she had pneumonia, so I'm sure it's out there. She did her best to stay outside and have minimal contact, but still. So far so good, knock on wood. At least when the ibuprophen kicks in, he plays and jokes around like normal, so at least he's not lethargic and completely miserable.

Sean's been working half-days so I've been cabin-feverish stuck in with the sickies. Now my throat is scratchy again. Dang it all. We've changed toothbrushes, been running steamers. I sure hope this bug dies soon. Abby needs to be well for her surgery.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Not sure when the croopie stuff ends.. McKinley is 11 and still sounds like a seal once in a while.. lets say like 2 days ago..sorry you are all sick..

Jen said...

Bummer...I know how the sicky stuff goes...I'm currently sick and trying desperately not to touch Decovin too much for fear of him getting it also...I have the same stuff minus the cough...and the cabin fever too!
Hope you all feel better soon!

Clog Nana said...

Don't forget to take him into a hot shower room if he croups. It is the best thing. They can breath normally after being in that. Robby had the croup a lot when he was 2.