in case you were wondering
yes, this trip was very last minute. Sean and I had been talking about my coming out here for a visit sometime, but more like Feb or March. So I call the eye doctor to see what the appointment wait time looked like, and here's the thing...she is having a baby next week. She wouldn't be back to work until April and the appointments in April were already booking up. Sean will likely be gone from here in April, so if we wanted to see her, this was the ONLY week to do it. She squeezed us in. So, yeah, throw some clothes in a bag and go.
The visit went ok. Nathan could use some glasses, but everytime she put a lens up to test it, he pushed her arm away. His lenses are right along the edge of the pupil, so she can't be sure if he is looking thru it or around it. So the next thing woud be an exam under anesthesia like Abby went thru to get a good reading on how strong he might need. She also thought perhaps he is favoring one eye over the other, so he has patching in his future, too. He was just too uncooperative to get very good measurements. And she tried everything she could for quite some time. She also told me the latest technique is a lens implant surgery like I had when the kids are 4 or 5. SCARY! I guess it would solve it, but, I would hate to give her that much pain without her full understanding and consent. I know lots of kids have more serious ailments that need surgery much younger. I just don't know. I still debate whether I would have had the surgery if I had known the after affects. Ever since my eye surgery, they have mostly felt dry and I can't see quite as well at night. My feeling two years ago when we were told she had it was to let her grow up and let her decide for herself. However, it might save her some emotional grief in terms of teasing at the swimming pool or sleepovers. I just can't decide which course is best.




5 comments:
you will make the right choice. You are a great mom. It is hard to decide to step in and do something for the better of your childs health. McKinley is breathing harder and harder everyday. I think the nose will need to be fixed long before the age of 16. That is scary. I am going to get him a appointment here soon to see what can be done. Follow your heart sweetie what ever you decided will be what is right for you and yours.
was the dryness and whatnot after your procedure what is expected? maybe it wouldn't be as bad for her or she'd at least be "used" to it b/c she would never remember what it felt like without them... i don't know nearly enough about it to offer any medical advice, but i agree, you and sean need to just decide what you think is best at this time and go with it. nobody is going to fault you for making the choices you have to make for your kids.
and also its been a few years since you had the surgery...maybe they haave improved how they do it or they have perfected the procedure and its not as bad afterwards. Follow your heart and you will figure out what needs to be done.
Love ya!
oh yeah....missed seeing you this last week when I came to visit with Amanda. Wish i could have seen the babies and you too. lol. Your poor mom had such a migrain....i felt so sorry for her. She put up a good front though. I would have just went to bed and said SORRY. Not her...she even played Diploma Dogs with us...AND SHE WON BOTH GAMES. and the second game she didn't even answer any questions for like the first 10 questins and she STILL won. Go figure. LOL
I have to say, after finally feeling better, that I was in real nasty nausiating pain. To think that I used to go to work like that. (I have these headaches for 3 days and no matter what I did or do it would hang in... so go to work or miss 3 days everytime.
Glad you had a good visit. I had fun too (I think..yeah and I can't believe I won anything. I still have a sore spot on my scalp that makes me think it could return.) Mandy - thanks for popping me. i kept waiting for you to get there to fix me. Then when you went the wrong way I cried inside.
I thought you might pick Columbia (cause it is small population) but then what kind of training is that?? Good luck.
Post a Comment