baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Deep ressed

I really think I hate eye doctors. Yeah. Hate. Especially so called "Pediatric Opthalmology Specialists" who have no apparent specialness nor pedia-tricks. An open hint to all opthalmologists out there...if you are claiming to be a pediatric specialist just to be able to charge more money, shame on you. There are some kids out there that really need more than that.

So today was a bad day. This is one of those days that makes you feel like the world is pushing you down and if you relax enough to breathe, you will be crushed under the weight of it all. Today, I feel ready to throw in the towel and just quit. I know I've heard that God only gives you what you can handle, but enough already.

And I mentally understand that there are so many other things that are so much worse. I understand that in comparison with innumerable things, we are very very lucky and blessed. But in my own human selfishness, I feel like it is just not fair and why did it have to happen to us? I feel guilty that my kids have to deal with this because of me.

Nathan has my eyes. And Abby is darn near blind in one eye and we have to patch her in hopes that it will come back online. And I remember patching and feeling like I was some sort of mutant that everybody stared at and like there was something fundamentally wrong with me just for breathing. I hate this. I hate that she might ever have to feel something like that.

And every #$@% doctor we see keeps insisting that there must be some other syndrome with other various horrors that is causing it. Stop. We are healthy. Don't torture my kids with tests they don't need.

And Sean isn't even here to run interference so that I can curl up in bed and mourn the hope I had for normally-sighted kids.

12 comments:

gjlac said...

Remember way back when you were still in college and we had a conversation about your "what if's"? I think we talked about how you would have to just cross that bridge if it came your way and be an example and talk those kind of feelings through with your kids because you went through it yourself. Try not to let them feel the bitterness you felt. You can help them feel they aren't terribly "different". They will need lots of self confidence and I see that in Abby already. I am mourning for you also but I know you can find a way to get through this bump in life. Sean will be home soon. Take one step at a time. Find a good Pediatric Opthamologist that you feel confident in and you will have made the first step. We will be praying for you and the kids. We love you lots. Love, Aunt G

Jen said...

Oh Stacy, I wish I could just give you a big hug right now. There are probably no words or actions that would make you feel better at this particular moment...except for maybe a stiff drink and good massage by a guy named Ricardo...so I won't even try to act like I know what to say...I will just say, I love you guys and if you want, I can drive over in a heartbeat...just say the word.

Jen said...

I was going to ask before...but what is "patching?"

Judy said...

hang in there babe.....we all love you and are praying for you. sean will be home soon and you will have some extra support. just know we all love you very much and we love those babies too!!!!

Catsjoy said...

I remember talking about what you remembered about that tiime, but not about any what ifs.

Jen, you make me laugh. Know any Ricardos? And patching is taking a patch and covering one eye with it. Cover the strong eye so the weak eye is forced to work harder and get stronger.

gjlac said...

Oh well, you know your Aunt G is getting older and just doesn't remember everything exactly like it was. I just know you can be a great example to your kids and show them that they aren't different, they're special!

Jen said...

:-)

amanda said...

oh stace... i love ya.

but i'm having trouble wishing for a ricardo for you... my best friend just started dating a short, round mexican named ricardo that (up until he confessed his undying love) we used to make fun of, so i'm having trouble visualizing this ricardo as a good thing. i'll, instead, wish for enrique. hope that's alright with everyone.

Jen said...

Oooohhhhh...Enrique sounds hotter and shinier!

"Excuse me, I'd like a cosmopolitan with a side order of Enrique...spot, spot!"

Catsjoy said...

yes. Enrique is a very hot name. After this long, just about anything sounds hot...:P

Christy said...

I knew a Carlos at WSU that could melt butter! He asked me to rub oil on his back once. Aye carrumba!

Jen said...

I'm getting verklempt! Please talk amongst yourselves...here, I'll give you a topic...why is a hot dog neither hot nor a dog...please discuss...