baby developmentbaby developmentbaby development

Friday, May 26, 2006

Full of Family

Summer visit season has begun! Last weekend, Grandma and Judy came down to see us, and yesterday, Jen and Decovin brightened our day. It is so nice to be close to family and get to see them more than just online. Today, mom and dad are going to visit Rob and Cindi. Tomorrow, I will go visit Sean's parents. Crazy. You wonder sometimes what it was like before we could travel at 70 miles an hour and get places. I can't imagine those wagon trains moving to California at 20-40 miles a day. I know, that is a big range, but I'm not sure how fast horses can go in one day. Or ox pulling a wagon. At 30 miles a day, it would take a whole day just to get from here to Columbia.

Anyway, Nathan is so gosh darn cute right now. He has discovered his tongue and likes to stick it in and out at you. He has discovered how to squeal and enjoys his new talent. (I could do without that one so much) And he is laughing more and more. I don't know if he would make a good doctor as he currently has no bedside manner. If you cough or sneeze around him, he will start giggling. This delights Abby. She will start fake coughing just to get him smiling.

Abby is such a big girl. I'm blessed that she can entertain herself alot. She loves her movies and her painting computer game. And she is quite fond of her new sandbox. It looks like a car, so after she gets bored with digging, she can pretend she is driving to Walmart or Target for awhile. She has a huge imagination and it makes me think I need to find her a play group sometimes because she will start talking to a wall, or thin air and tell me she's talking to Wallace and Gromit. Or Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. Or Kipper. One morning, I went in to wake her up and she said, "Shh. They're all sleeping," referring to her invisible friends next to her in bed.

And, she has a memory you wouldn't believe. We really don't go to Fulton that much, but I have taken her to the dentist with me when I got my teeth cleaned and to pick up some new retainers, so I guess she knows the dentist's office. So one day, I had to go back in for him to tighten the retainers and we told her that's what we needed to do. We failed to mention we were going to eat first. So we pull up to the restaurant, and she starts getting a little upset and says, "That's not it." Meaning that's not the dentist's office, mom, we're at the wrong place. Keep in mind, these trips were weeks if not months apart, so for her to remember really floored me. Especially since our dentist office is in a converted ranch house in a residential looking area, and we probably drive by a hundred ranch houses on any given trip to town. If you didn't know it was a dentist's office, you would probably drive right by thinking it was someone's house. It makes me really want to start her in school because she just absorbs EVERYTHING, and yet because of her birthday, she won't get to start Kindergarten until she's 5 and a half. I just know she will be so bored.

Anyway, happy Memorial Day

No comments: